I'm not as embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to make porridge as I was to admit that I didn't know how to makea couple of years ago. However I still feel like making porridge is a basic skill which every human being should possess.
This isn't as fancy (or healthy) as, but since it's impossible to buy whole oats on my little Thai island, it will have to do. It's a merger of a couple different recipes and "seems to work for me". In fact given my general distrust of mushy, slimy and white food, it's pretty damn good.
Short version: Twice as much water as oats, everything else to taste.
- 2 ¼ fact cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- pinch of salt
For the less healthy, but more delicious version, you also want:
- coconut milk (or whatever *milk you prefer)
- Boil the salted water and then add the oats
- Turn to low heat and allow the oats to be absorbed whilst stirring continuously
- Add the cinnamon, raisins and almonds
- Turn off heat, cover the pan and allow to stand for 5 minutes